The Amsler test is a very simple and quick way to check your central vision.
- If you wear reading glasses, wear them
- Approach the screen at a 40 cm distance
- Cover your left eye and look at the white dot in the center of the grid just with the right eye.
- It is important to focus on the white dot and not look at any other part of the grid.
- As you stare at the white dot in the center of note:
- Whether there are some areas on the grid that seems to be missing
- If the grid lines appear to be wavy or distorted or broken
- If you can see the corners and boundaries of the grid
- Repeat the procedure by covering the right eye this time and focusing on the white dot with your left eye.
If you responded positively to any of these questions, you should book an appointment and be examined by an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.
The Amsler test is a good way to self-test your central vision, but in no case does not replace a comprehensive eye examination.